Monday 16 July 2012

Wilder Woman of the Week ~ Dawn French




There's been a lot of press recently about the fat positive & health at any size movements, & the backlash that goes along with such things. I've avoided as much of it as possible, because it just makes me a wee bit angsty, to be honest. Then, by sheer coincidence, I started reading Dawn French's memoir, Dear Fatty. And a mere 22 pages in there was this:

"That's the key, you know, confidence. I know for a fact that if you can genuinely like your body, so can others. It doesn't really matter if it's short, tall, fat or thin, it just matters that you can find some things to like about it. Even if that means having a good laugh at the bits of it that wobble independently, occasionally, that's all right. It might take you a while to believe me on this one, lots of people don't because they seem to suffer from a self-hatred that precludes them from imagining that a big woman could ever love herself because they don't. But I do. I know what I've got is a bit strange and difficult to love but those are the very aspects I love the most! It's a bit like people. I've never been particularly attracted to the uniform of conventional beauty. I'm always a bit suspicious of people who feel compelled to conform. I personally like the adventure of difference. And what's beauty, anyway?"

Amazing. I had this crazy surge of emotions. I wanted to cheer, to laugh, & damn near burst into tears. I had to put the book down without reading further so I could digest that gem of a paragraph. And that, folks, is why Dawn French is my Wilder Woman of the Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment