Monday 31 December 2012

2012 ~ The Year In Review

2012 was a huge year for me, mainly because it was the year I became a Mama. Kowhai's arrival has brought such joy to my life, & to the lives of everyone around us. She is so infectiously happy all of the time, & I feel truly blessed to be her Mama.

Here are some more of the year's highlights, along with my books & songs of the year.

JANUARY

We had a tea party to celebrate my sister's 40th. Pretty dresses were worn & it was lovely.

Koko was born! Amazing.
 
FEBRUARY
 
Valentine's Day was spent wandering around the botanical gardens, followed by milkshakes at Maranui where we saw a pod of Dolphins in the bay. 
 
I became an Aunty again & my brother Matthew became a Dad when lovely little Noah was born.

Our friends Ben & Lisa got married in Masterton on the most glorious summer's day.
 
MARCH
 
We went to Melbourne. It was awesome.
 
APRIL
 
Koko's first easter.
 
MAY
 
Kowhai & I marched to Parliament with the Asset Sales Hikoi.
 
JUNE
 
My nephew Eli had a wicked lamingtons birthday cake.

Koko was bathed by St Oran's pupils.
 
JULY
 
Koko met her cousin Ali.

Matching poo suits were worn.

Koko graduated from the front pack to the back pack.

& this happened.
 
AUGUST
 
We all met Apa's sister Karina & her daughter Isobel.
 
SEPTEMBER
 
We finally got around to burying Koko's whenua & planting her kowhai seedling.
 
We holidayed up north where Kowhai met her great-grandparents.
 
OCTOBER
 
Evil Genius turned 1 & we had a huge weekend of celebrations with lots of friends & family.

My lovely friend Alex was a beautiful bride.

Koko was Dr. Hannibal Lecter for Halloween.
 
NOVEMBER
 
Koko attended her friend Libby's 1st birthday party & thoroughly enjoyed the ball pit.

I turned 32 & was given this awesome swan mask.

We hiked up to the Ataturk Memorial on Wellington's south coast.
 
DECEMBER
 
Koko's first Christmas.
 
Here's what I read this year (favourites are in bold) ~
 
~ The Rehearsal ~ Eleanor Catton
~ Mercy ~ Jodi Picoult
~ Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself ~ Judy Blume
~ Under the Bright Lights ~ Daniel Woodrell
~ Muscle for the Wing ~ Daniel Woodrell
~ The Hunger Games trilogy ~ Suzanne Collins
~ Necklace of Kisses ~ Francesca Lia Block
~ Pink Smog ~ Francesca Lia Block
~ Sons for the Return Home ~ Albert Wendt
~ Half Blood Blues ~ Esi Edugyan
~ The Bell Family ~ Noel Streatfeild
~ Sea Fever: From First Date to First Mate ~ Angela Meyer
~ The Kite Runner ~ Khaled Hosseini
~ The Pact ~ Jodi Picoult
~ Dear Fatty ~ Dawn French
~ The Happiness Project ~ Gretchen Rubin
~ How to be a Woman ~ Caitlin Moran
~ State of Wonder ~ Ann Patchett
~ A Simple Path ~ Mother Teresa
 
Jodi Picoult & young adults fiction are my literary junk food. I devoured The Hunger Games trilogy in no time. Sons for the Return Home was the first Albert Wendt I'd read, & it was so intelligent. When your friend goes on an amazing adventure & lives to tell the gripping tale, you have an obligation to pimp that book out to all & sundry. So, hear this people: GO READ SEA FEVER! Dawn French's memoir had me laughing one minute & crying the next. Seriously, so good. State of Wonder transported me to the depths of a Minnesotan winter, & then the oppressive heat & otherness of the Amazon rainforest. Brilliant.
 
Here are the songs that I loved the most this year ~
 
Okay, so not a new release this year, but my love for this song, & this video, continued in 2012. Swagger going swell!
 
I don't often agree with Simon Sweetman, but I agree with him on this being the song of the year.
 
I know, I know, I can hear you cringing from here, but it's just so damn catchy! Kowhai loves it too, & I sing it to her like this: Hey, I just met you/& this is crazy/but you are Kowhai/& you're my baby.
 
I'd love to hear about your highs, lows & favourites of 2012, so leave me a note in the comments. Here's to a brilliant 2013! Onwards & upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment