Thursday 23 January 2014

Wilder Web


This Is What I Mean When I Say "White Feminism". Intersectionality, yo! Learn it, live it.
""White feminism" does not mean every white woman, everywhere, who happens to identify as feminist. It also doesn't mean that every "white feminist" identifies as white. I see "white feminism" as a specific set of single-issue, non-intersectional, superficial feminist practices. It is the feminism we understand as mainstream; the feminism obsessed with body hair, and high heels and makeup, and changing your married name. It is the feminism you probably first learned. "White feminism" is the feminism that doesn't understand western privilege, or cultural context. It is the feminism that doesn't consider race as a factor in the struggle for equality."
 Ugh, I did not know about this: The Woody Allen Story We Need To Stop Forgetting. Agreat piece on whether or not we can still love the work of reprehensible people.
"Last night when Woody was awarded a lifetime achievement award for what is undoubtably an outstanding, untouchable body of work, his biological son Ronan tweeted: "Missed the Woody Allen tribute - did they put the part where a woman publicly confirmed he molested her at age 7 before or after Annie Hall?""
Gah! The coolness! I'll take everything from the YmamaY? Winter 2014 range in size adult, please.

All roads lead to philosophy, on Wikipedia. The idea is that if you follow the first link from any article on Wikipedia, you will eventually end up at Philosophy. I tried it, starting with a randomly generated article on Sampans, Jura. 16 clicks later I was at Modern Philosophy, 17 clicks I was at Philosophy. Try it.

I got 13 out of 17 in this quiz on the opening lines of books. Can you do better?

I mentioned on twitter that one of my pet peeves is when people who missed out on Oscar nominations are described as having been 'snubbed', and my friend Francis directed me to this brilliant piece for The Movie Club ~ Why critics love Inside Llewyn Davis: It's about a critic.

"My highly scientific analysis of what happened with the nominations this morning is this: Those guys like stuff you don’t like and vice versa. Whatever and whoever else they are, academy voters are not critics..."
And then pretty much as soon as I got done reading the above article, my friend Cam tweeted a link to Robbed at the Oscars. How very serendipitous.


"It’s not that I have anything against attachment moms or eco-tree-huggers or health people or Team Green or any of them, it’s just that the SECOND you stick that label on my forehead is the SECOND I FALL DESPERATELY AND TERRIBLY SHORT and walk around feeling less than and like I’ve betrayed something. My people. My team."
Amen to the brilliant In the Name of Love.

"DWYL is a secret handshake of the privileged and a worldview that disguises its elitism as noble self-betterment."
A surprise Pride and Prejudice cosplay engagement. Amazing.


I vividly remember being banned from the living room while my older siblings watched the 1987 film version of Flowers in the Attic. Now the incest-heavy book will be a Lifetime movie.
"In a world where Fifty Shades of Grey—which is far more explicit with its sex scenes and includes rape, but not incest—is now a bestseller, one wonders if Flowers in the Attic will resonate with a new audience. It’s tough to find someone under the age of 30 who has even heard of the series, let alone read it. When I asked my twenty-year-old students what their generation’s Flowers in the Attic is, they were stumped. The closest they could come was Twilight. While Twilight certainly has an underlying abuse trope, it doesn’t hold a candle to Flowers in the Attic. My students hypothesized that their generation has the Internet, so they don’t need to read dirty books under the covers."

Habits of the World's Wealthiest People. I'm pretty sure that incorporating these habits into your life will make it better, money or no money.

Why I hate "I hate children..." Yes! Hate this sooo much.

The China National Orchestra performing Katy Perry's Roar. Seriously ~

(via Dooce)

Dancing always makes a movie better ~

(also via Dooce)

No comments:

Post a Comment